Monday, March 22, 2010

Greenhousing


So, its about time I put up a picture or two of the greenhouse. I had to remove most of the panels last fall because the wind was huffing and puffing and blowing the greenhouse down. So I put up 6 4x4 posts inside and put two 2x4 rails around it. I bought bolts that fit the rails the greenhouse came with. I slid them in and used Dad's suggestion to cut PVC pipe to make spacers.






Dad came over and helped hang the center two 2x4 rails and we re-hung the door on a 2x4 so it wouldn't blow away. Saturday, I glued in PVC and attached a bunch of micro-sprinklers to the undersides of the shelves. Hopefully, that will keep the plants watered while I'm at work. Today I dug the trench for the water supply line and started gluing that in. Luckily I was smart enough to think ahead 5 years ago when I originally did the backyard. I added an extra valve and piped it out to the backyard and left it in the ground. That has saved me hours and hours of work. I just had to dig up the pipe and glue onto it.

5 comments:

LINDSEY said...

Love the greenhouse, I probably need to come over and have some sun therapy in there while I transplant seedlings...ah my kind of fun! Good Job on construction looks sturdy enough to handle the craziest wind!

256_shades_of_grey said...

The wind hasn't been able to budge it so far. I need to improve the roof vents, they are pretty flimsy. And I need to seal the door better, but the sprinkers are nearly done, I should have those squared away by tonight. And I really need some help transplanting stuff! Feel free to come over whenever.

bcichsherry@gmail.com said...

You are the farmer extrodinaire. Maybe, we can help out this Saturday with planting. Dad has an upper GI on Friday, so we will see how he is doing. We took last Saturday to get our yard in the back in pretty good shapae--raking, weeding (how can weeds grow in the winter-that dang sweat of your brow stuff) pruning, etc.

256_shades_of_grey said...

The sprinklers are done and working but aren't automatic just yet. I might get to that today after coaching and Executive Secretary-ing.

bcichsherry@gmail.com said...

OK--the blog police say it is time to update ye old blog. Put on some pictures of our rock hounding adventure.